Student Nurse Externship Program
The Student Nurse Externship at Clark Regional Medical Center (CRMC) aspires to motivate and assist the extern to reach their full potential from the start of their nursing career! The program is designed to serve entry level students currently enrolled in an accredited registered nursing program.
The Student Nurse Extern will build skills in critical thinking, time-management, communication, competence, and confidence in the clinical setting.
You will work side-by-side with a registered nurse mentor providing hands-on quality patient care!
- Program Objectives
The student nurse externship program is designed to:
- Foster accelerated learning in the field of nursing in a variety of clinical settings
- Provide students in nursing with an opportunity to enhance previously learned skills under the supervision of experienced registered nurses in the healthcare setting
- Assist students of nursing with experience in a work situation appropriate to their potential as a future registered nurse
- Prepare students of nursing to assume responsibilities of full-time employees with respect to performance, requirements, policies, and procedures of a health care agency
- Encourage retention of nursing graduates through provision of supplemental practice experience within the workplace
- Program Overview
The externship program includes:
- Ability to remain in the program throughout your nursing education as long as qualifications are continuously met
- Paid ($16 hourly)
- 4 12-hour shifts within a 6-week scheduling period (minimum requirement)
- Monthly check-in meetings conducted by HR and Staff Education to help strengthen the externship experience
- Possibility for tuition reimbursement or sponsorship with time forgiveness
- Priority position fulfillment post-graduation
- Eligibility and Requirements
- Be actively enrolled in an accredited nursing program (ADN or BSN)
- Completion of Nursing Fundamentals and/or at least one Medical-Surgical clinical rotation
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (American Heart Association) certification upon hire or within one week of hire
- Successful completion and demonstration of clinical competence
- Must not work for another facility with prospects to work there post-graduation while enrolled in the Student Nurse Extern Program at CRMC
- How to Apply
- Selection Process
Applicants for the Student Nursing Externship Program will be evaluated based on review of their academic performance, references, application packet, and interviews with facility leadership.
- Contact Information
If you have any questions, please contact our Clinical Recruiter, Madison Osborne, at 859.267.7133 or by email, Madison.Osborne@lpnt.net.